Wednesday, July 10, 2013

PROFILES: Q&A WITH ADAM FISCHLIN

This month, we sat down with Adam Fischlin from Rick Engineering to find out a little bit about him.





“Come out and join the YMF for the next event.
It is a great opportunity to get to know your peers and have a good time.”
Adam Fischlin, ASCE YMF Events Coordinator
Asst. Engineering Designer & Ultimate/Disc Enthusiast
Rick Engineering
San Luis Obispo, CA


ASCE: Where are you originally from and what brought you to San Luis Obispo?

Adam:  I was born and raised in Elk Grove, CA. I moved to San Luis Obispo after high school to attend Cal Poly and have lived here ever since.

ASCE: Where do you work and what kind of projects do you work on?

Adam: I am an Assistant Engineering Designer with Rick Engineering here in SLO. I have been with them for about a year now and have gotten to work on a variety of interesting projects, including Westfield West Valley Offsite intersection improvements, Shea Homes subdivision, and Valencia Library parking expansion.

ASCE: We heard that you are an officer for the new ASCE Younger Member Forum that has recently formed in San Luis Obispo; can you tell us a bit about that?

Adam: That is correct. I am the events coordinator for the YMF. The group was formed earlier this year as a way for young civil engineers to connect both socially and professionally, and to provide a bridge from the student SCE group to the local ASCE branch. For now, we have been mostly focusing on social events, but we plan to host technical and non-technical presentations and tours in the next few months.

ASCE: Why did you decide to become a Civil Engineer?

Adam: I was extremely involved in a technical engineering program at my high school and this is where I first got the idea that I might want to be an engineer. I also think I have always had an obsession for bridges, buildings, and roads and that is what lead me to pursue a degree in Civil Engineering.

ASCE: What are some of your hobbies?

Adam: Sports! I mainly like to play Ultimate Frisbee & Disc Golf, but I also am a huge sports fan (especially bay area and Sacramento teams). I have been playing Ultimate since my 4th year in college and I continue to participate in leagues in SLO and play in fun tournaments out of town. This past year I coached the Cal Poly Women’s Club Ultimate Frisbee team and I am one of the coordinators of the SLO summer league.

ASCE: Wow, sounds like you are a busy guy. Anything else?

Adam: This spring, I was the assistant coach for one of the local little league baseball teams (Go Owls!), and I have recently taken up brewing my own beer. I am currently brewing my third batch and am looking forward to starting my own recipes soon. Be on the lookout for my beer hitting shelves soon at a store near you!

ASCE: What is your favorite thing about the central coast?

Adam: Well, obviously the weather is always amazing but besides that, I love the feel of the small college town. It’s great to be able to walk to downtown SLO and grab dinner and drinks whenever I choose. 

ASCE: Anything else you would like to add?

Adam: I’d like to encourage everyone to come out and join the YMF for the next event. It is a great opportunity to get to know your peers and have a good time. More info on the next event will be coming soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment